London-born tenor Richard Bignall completed his postgraduate degree at the Guildhall School of Music & Drama under the tutelage of John Evans, graduating in 2016 with first-class honours.
"Richard Bignall is moving as Macduff, shattered by the mass execution of his family" - **** Bachtrack
When he’s not performing, Richard can be found treading the chopping boards of his kitchen, or running off his foodie feasts training for the London Marathon.
- ‘MacDuff’ - Styles’ Macbeth (Glyndebourne Jerwood Opera; Linbury Theatre, ROH)
- ‘Diener 6’ and ‘Italian Tenor’ (cover) - Strauss' Capriccio, ‘Dr Caius’ (cover) - Falstaff and chorus - Die Zauberflöte (Garsington Opera 2018)
- ‘Une Bête’ - Ravel's L’Enfant et les Sortilèges, ‘Flute’ (cover) - Britten's A Midsummer Night’s Dream, ‘Scaramuccio’ (cover) - Strauss' Ariadne Auf Naxos, ‘Delmiro’ (cover) - Cavalli's Hipermestra (Glyndebourne Festival Opera)
- Cover ‘Januarie’ - Julian Philips' The Tale of Januarie (GSMD)
- ‘Andy Anderson’ - Paul Bunyan, Chorus - The Bartered Bride (British Youth Opera)
- ‘Prunier’ - Puccini's La Rondine, ‘Tonio’ - Donizetti's La Fille du Régiment, ‘Jacquino’ - Beethoven's Fidelio, ‘Tom Rakewell’ - Stravinksy's The Rake’s Progress, ‘Mayor’ and 'Albert' - Britten's Albert Herring (GSMD Scenes)
- ‘Nireno’ - Handel's Giulio Cesare (Concert, Opera, Recital)
- 'Frank’ (cover) and chorus - Rorem’s Our Town, cover of ‘Mr. Twig’ - Arne’s The Cooper, chorus - Dvorak’s The Cunning Peasant and Dove’s Pinocchio (GSMD)
- Chorus - Britten's Peter Grimes (Grimes on the Beach, Aldeburgh Festival & Opera North)
- Chorus for Glyndebourne Festival Opera 2015-17, and Chorus for Glyndebourne Touring Opera 2016-17
Concerts, competitions, & Oratorio:
- Oratorio experience includes Britten’s Rejoice in the Lamb, Bach’s Magnificat, Handel’s Israel in Egypt, Dixit Dominus, and Messiah, Charpentier's Te Deum, Schubert’s Mass in G Major, Haydn’s Imperial ‘Nelson’ Mass, Mendelssohn’s Lauda Sion, and Saint-Saën’s Requiem.
- Performed the world premiere of Noel Mewton-Wood's Landscape of Cytherea in partnership with The Song in the City and the British Library.
- Semi-chorus in Berlioz’s Roméo et Juliette with Valery Gergiev & the LSO at Salle Pleyel, Paris and Barbican Centre, London.
- Soloist in Cornelius Cardew's rarely performed Ode Machines as part of Southbank Centre's festival ‘The Rest is Noise’.
- Chorus in Jonathan Miller’s highly acclaimed production of Bach's St. Matthew Passion at the National Theatre.
Masterclasses with Sarah Walker, Toby Spence, Neil Jenkins, Mary Dunleavy and Neil Schicoff.
Guildhall School of Music & Drama - BMus (Hons) First-Class (2010-2014); MMus (2014-2016)